Photo by Matthew Eynon
Manchester's rising stars, Pastel, continue their meteoric journey with the release of their latest single, 'Your Day.' This track arrives just as the quintet gears up to take their music to the next level, embarking on their eagerly awaited debut UK headline tour, which is now completely sold out. The tour sets the stage for their much-anticipated debut album, scheduled for release next year.
'Your Day' immediately distinguishes Pastel from the emerging wave of British guitar bands. Jack Yates' controlled yet charismatic vocals, intertwined with guitarist James Yates' call-and-response backing vocals, create an immediately recognizable dynamic. The dreamy shoegaze textures of the guitars receive an infusion of power, reminiscent of some of Johnny Marr's iconic riffs. The song's percussion, streamlined and precise, keeps an unwavering beat. In short, 'Your Day' showcases Pastel's unwavering commitment to their craft.
Written by Pastel and produced by Afflecks Palace frontman J. Fender, the band commented, "The tribal drum beat and roaring guitars are war-like, a manifestation of our mindset growing up on the streets of Manchester. Hope and optimism pepper the lyrics, but the music on this tune is bellicose for a reason. 'Your Day' is a statement; an opening shot fired. Our debut album is coming."
The official video for 'Your Day,' directed by Charlie Lightening (known for his work with Liam Gallagher, The Rolling Stones, and Louis Tomlinson), captures the band's explosive performance in striking monochrome.
Comprising Joe Anderson (lead guitar), Liam O'Shea (bass), and Rhys Wheeler (drums), Pastel has garnered a dedicated following in recent years, standing on the verge of a major breakthrough. Their 2021 debut EP 'Deeper Than Holy' rocketed to #1 on the UK vinyl chart and sold out its 12" vinyl pressing in a mere 90 seconds. The band gained further recognition when they opened for Liam Gallagher's historic Knebworth show. Their second EP, 'Isaiah,' also made waves by hitting #2 on the UK vinyl chart.
In addition to their musical endeavors, Jack and James Yates are set to grace the big screen in the upcoming 'Trailer Park Boys' film, 'Bubbles and the Shitrockers,' directed by Charlie Lightening.
Following their sold-out debut headline tour, Pastel will perform at Port Talbot's Shunkfest and host a launch party for the Cambrensis autumn/winter collection in Cardiff. The band will cap off 2023 with another major tour as special guests to The Twang. Don't miss their electrifying performances at the following dates:
- 21st: Bristol, The Louisiana (SOLD OUT)
- 22nd: Manchester, Deaf Institute (SOLD OUT)
- 23rd: Newcastle, The Cluny (SOLD OUT)
- 24th: Nottingham, Rough Trade (SOLD OUT)
- 4th: Birmingham, Sunflower Lounge (SOLD OUT)
- 5th: London, Camden Assembly (SOLD OUT)
- 6th: Leeds, Belgrave Music Hall (LOW TICKETS)
- 7th: Liverpool, Jimmys (SOLD OUT)
- 8th: Glasgow, King Tuts (LOW TICKETS)
- 13th: Swansea, Bunkhouse (SOLD OUT)
- 14th: Port Talbot, Shunkfest (HEADLINERS)
- 16th: Cardiff, The Globe (Cambrensis autumn/winter collection launch party)
**NOVEMBER - SPECIAL GUESTS TO THE TWANG**
- 24th: Sheffield, Leadmill
- 25th: London, O2 Academy Islington
**DECEMBER - SPECIAL GUESTS TO THE TWANG**
- 1st: Glasgow, The Garage
- 2nd: Manchester, O2 Ritz
- 8th: Wrexham, The Rockin’ Chair
- 15th: Wolverhampton, The Wulfrun at The Halls
- 16th: Leicester, O2 Academy
- 23rd: Birmingham, O2 Institute
Pastel's journey promises to be nothing short of electric as they continue to captivate audiences across the UK.