top of page

New Survey Reveals Mixed Sentiments Among Musicians Regarding AI in Music

A recent survey conducted by Pirate, a global music studio network serving over 365,000 artists worldwide, has provided fascinating insights into the attitudes of musicians towards the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in music production. The study, which involved over 1,000 artists from the UK, US, and Germany, has highlighted both a growing openness to AI technology and concerns regarding transparency.

The survey found that 25% of musicians had already experimented with AI in music production, showcasing a willingness to embrace technology within the music community. Among those who hadn't yet dabbled in AI, 46% expressed their interest in considering the use of AI music tools in the future. These findings underline the potential for AI to become a significant player in the music industry's creative processes.

However, the study also revealed a transparency gap in the industry, with only 48% of artists confirming that they would inform listeners when AI was used to create a song or record. Over half of the respondents (53%) had concerns about how their audience might perceive music created with the assistance of AI, raising questions about the authenticity and public perception of AI-generated music.

One artist, Cristoph Krey, who utilizes Pirate's Brooklyn rehearsal studios with his band, MYAI, has become a vocal advocate for transparency in AI use. MYAI incorporates artificial intelligence for 30% of their activities, alongside what they term 'art intelligence' for the remaining 70%. This unique combination allows them to harness the benefits of AI while maintaining their authenticity. Krey, an early adopter of technology in music, influenced by his background in finance, emphasized the learning curve that artists face when incorporating AI into their creative process:

"What I see as a negative is if you don't have any sort of technology background, it is a huge learning curve for a lot of artists to get involved with AI. It's one more thing that artists now have to do on top of everything else that they have to do to create value." - Cristoph Krey, Artist, MYAI

The survey also highlighted a trend of artists actively acquiring new skills in response to ongoing advancements in AI, with 55% of respondents learning new skills. Notably, 28% are learning AI-related skills, while 37% are acquiring skills unrelated to AI. This retraining reflects the need for artists to adapt to the ever-changing landscape of music production.

In summary, the survey revealed a mix of excitement, fear, and challenges surrounding AI in music. 'Curiosity' emerged as the primary motivator for artists embracing AI, followed by 'Enhanced Creativity' and 'Efficiency.' For those who remain uncertain, 'Loss of Authenticity' was the most common concern, closely tied to public perception.

Pirate's CEO, David Borrie, addressed artists' concerns about using AI and the challenges of being known to use this innovative technology. He drew parallels to past innovations in the music industry, stating:

"Understandably, artists are hesitant about adopting AI in the studio, and also hesitant about broadcasting their use of this controversial new technology. It's useful to look back at the introduction of tools like autotune which faced criticism in their early days but eventually found their place in the music industry. AI's journey toward becoming a standard tool in music creation may follow a similar path, as artists and audiences alike adapt to this innovation." - David Borrie, CEO, Pirate

As AI continues to evolve, artists and the music industry as a whole face the challenge of balancing innovation with authenticity, ultimately reshaping the way music is created and perceived.

Full report is HERE


Featured Posts

Recent Posts

Follow Us

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle
bottom of page